You know how the best part of the Thanksgiving meal is when all the stuff on your plate all mix together and you get that epic final bite of a healthy Thanksgiving food orgy?
Too far with the “orgy?”
Ok, let’s try Savory Thanksgiving Cupcakes!
Or let’s just call it what it is: Vegan, Gluten-Free Stuffing Muffins with Mashed Potato and Gravy! Baby!
This recipe for a single dish that combines vegan stuffing, mashed potatoes AND gravy all in one! is in my friend Ilene’s awesome Healthy Holiday Season ECookbook! Which you can get fo’ FREE when you pre-order her debut cookbook, The Colorful Kitchen, a drool-worthy and approachable plant-party cookbook that yours truly endorses – emotionally and also on the back cover of the actual book! Woot.
- Check out her book on Amazon here and if you decide to order it,
- go here with your order deets to claim your FREE Healthy Holiday Season E-Cookbook! SWEET! But without refined sugar.
And of course, here’s how to make these glorious stuffing muffins, which, fun fact, I made from Ilene’s website for Thanksgiving even before knowing her IRL!!!
FOR THE ACTUAL STUFFING MUFFIN
- 8 cups bread cubes (about 1 loaf)
- 3 tbs vegan butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups celery, diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg replacer (see info above)
- 2½ -3 cups vegetable broth
- oil for greasing muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread bread cubes out on baking sheet. Bake until toasted (about 10-15 minutes). Transfer bread to large bowl.
- Heat vegan butter in pan on stove at medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery and sauté until vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes). Add mixture to bowl with bread cubes.
- Stir thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and egg replacer into bowl.
- Slowly add vegetable broth, being careful not to make bread too soggy, and stir. I added 1 cup at a time and let it absorb for a minute before adding more.
- Grease mini muffin tin. Spoon mixture into each spot, packing it down and filling it slightly above the top. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes, until edges are browned.
- Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Add a scoop of mashed potatoes on each muffin and top with gravy.
FOR THE MMMMMASHED POTATOES (VEGAN)
- 6-8 medium yukon potatoes, cut in half
- 2-3 tbs Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring pot of water to boil. Add potatoes and simmer until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Drain potatoes and place in large bowl. Add Earth Balance and use a potato masher or fork to mash.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
VEGAN GRAVY, BABY!
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup flour (dealer's choice! she likes chickpea flour)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp tamari
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a small pot on the stove (on medium heat).
- For about 5 minutes total, every 30 seconds pop in there with a whisk and whisk it up a bit and then let it sit again till the next 30 seconds strikes.
- The longer you let it sit, the thicker it will get!